Deputy finance minister Sfiso Buthelezi has pledged government's support to the South African insurance industry and called on insurers to continue working in the spirit of collaboration and good corporate governance. Speaking at the South African Insurance Association's annual cocktail event, which took place on 20 July 2017 in Sandton, the deputy minister stressed that while the industry was on the right path, there was still a lot of work that needed to be done.
The South African Insurance Association (SAIA) is the representative body of the short-term insurance industry. It represents the industry to all relevant stakeholders to ensure a sustainable and dynamic industry. SAIA has 59 members, comprising all categories of short-term insurers, including reinsurers. Its members abide by the SAIA Code of Conduct, which ensures adherence to best-practice industry standards and self-regulation.
To promote and represent the interests of the short-term insurance industry, while leading and enhancing the efforts of the industry to become recognised and trusted as an important contributor to the South African economy and society.
- To encourage fair and ethical treatment of short-term insurance customers
- To favourably represent the short-term insurance industry in such a way that all stakeholders have trust and confidence in the industry
- To create an environment in which industry members can share information, debate important and relevant issues, and create a common vision for the short-term insurance industry
- To create opportunities for the industry and to embark on initiatives that will enhance its image and reputation amongst all stakeholders
- To promote understanding of short-term insurance to all stakeholders
- To promote awareness of the industry and its contributions to society and the South African economy
Upcoming Events 2017 Jul 07, 2017
The SAIA will be hosting its Annual General Meeting (AGM) and Cocktail function on Thursday, 20 July 2017.
Inaugural SAIA Indaba 2017 Jul 07, 2017
The SAIA successfully hosted its inaugural Indaba on 10 May 2017 at the FNB Conference Centre. The event, themed “Supporting the National Development Plan through the Short-term Insurance Industry,” was well attended with representatives from various stakeholders, including government, financial sector bodies, industry captains, SAIA members and the media.